Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On Mastery


I went to a stylist party this weekend. There were free makeovers; hair, make-up, and massages.  I gratefully participated, receiving a massage and a new hairstyle (partially braided into a faux-hawk).  I wanted to try something funky!

The woman who braided my hair is a very talented young lady.  She does hair, makes jewelry, and has an online boutique.  In general fashion is her thing and her dream is to one day have a boutique in a cute artsy area of LA.

I was initially impressed with the woman's creativity, drive, and passion...then I noticed how she parted my hair.  She mentioned not being able to find a comb to create the parts so was using a clip.  What?!  Using a clip to make parts for hair.  (For those of you not familiar with braiding hair, it's like using a butter knife to cut steak...)  AND you are in a salon and can't find a comb?!  Really!

Three things come to mind...using the right tools, putting in effort, and honoring your work.  The latter being primary to me.  Now I will say I received many compliments, and from 'a distance' it looked great.  I thought...Mastery...Often times Mastery is in the details.  There is the expression, the concept, the inspiration, and the execution.  Paying close attention to the details, that matter, is what takes your work to another level.

The key ingredient is the expectation of Mastery.  The expectation that you are a master at whatever you do.  That you bring the highest level of integrity and knowledge you can in that moment.  Bringing that every day in each moment is what creates a true master.   Mastery becomes a habit and a way in which you express yourself.

Here are a couple of patterns of behaviors I have noticed of the greats whether they identify themselves as artists, scientists, or business people:
1) Study.  Taking the time to study your area.  Knowing what needs to be done, what tools you need, what details matter, and what the subtle differences are make all the difference in the world.
2) Effort.  Taking the time to apply that knowledge.  To care enough about your work to go the extra mile in mastering the nuances that maybe only the trained eye will notice.  Authenticity, Excellence.
3) Honoring your work.  This probably should be first because doing this naturally leads to the others.  Truly honoring first yourself, and thus the work you create is invaluable.  Then you are constantly seek how you express more of yourself through your gift.  How can you impact people in a more authentic, master-filled way?
Yesterday, I was at a dinner party and a friend of mine commented on her artistic journey.  She said that before she had the proper training her creativity was a slave to her technique.  Then, once she studied and mastered her technique, her technique then became a slave to her creativity. 
Allow your creativity to soar, flinging open the doors of expression, and leaping from the floor or preparation (technique, study, practice).

Photo Credit iSEEthings http://tinyurl.com/39juy69

No comments:

Post a Comment